Over the shotgun shooter's shoulder, coyote action pictures.

derbyacresbob

My son Wes and I left town at 6:30 am to do some calling before going to help the rancher and his family, gather , sort and brand some calves.

On the first stand we had a pretty good cold breeze blowing and it was blowing down towards some farm land we can't hunt. I set up to call into the wind but I told Wes to watch cross wind and the downwind side because the wind was going to carry the sound that way even though we had the speakers pointed the other way.

I was laying down with my shotgun and a pillow about 15 yards from my CS-24 and SP-55 speaker. I started the CS-24 playing Bay Bee Cottontail on volume 40. This was open grass land with no brush or bushes anywhere to be seen.

After Bay Bee Cottontail had been playing for 3 or 4 minutes I saw movement out of my right eye real close to me. So I turned my head and saw a coyote heading away fast, he had smelled me or the caller. So I sat up and saw another coyote about 25 yards away looking right at me. This coyote just stood there with a " where did you come from" look on his face.

I shot the standing coyote and then turned and whipped a big lead on the running coyote and shot at him with a 3" Rem Wingmaster HD "T" Predator load. The second coyote flipped head over heels and hit the ground hard but got right up. I shot at him again as he ran into a ditch about 70 yards away. When we finished the stand Wes told me that there was 4 coyotes that came running in all at one time.

We went over to where the second coyote I shot at ran into the ditch. Wes walked up the ditch and I walked down the ditch and Wes found the dead coyote about 100 yards up the ditch from where he entered it.
IMG_2392.jpg

The above picture is the shotgun double we got on the first stand. We blanked on the next two stands and then headed for the corrals to do the cattle work.

When the cattle work was over we headed in a different direction and started to do some more stands. We blanked on the first one.

On the second stand in the afternoon Wes was using the pillow and shotgun. I set up my new Foxpro Jack Attack Decoy next to my CS-24 about 15 yards away from Wes.
I started out with Bay Bee Cottontail again on volume 40. We were up in the hills on this stand and it looked like a coyote could come right around the ridge to Wes and Wes wouldn't see it until it was 20 to 30 yards away. Wes could see a long ways to the right and out in front but not very far to the left.

I had my camera ready and pointed towards Wes and the caller and decoy. Not too long after starting Bay Bee Cottontail I was looking to the right. When I turned my eyes back towards Wes there was a coyote standing in front of him and it was very close to him. So I started taking pictures.
IMG_2400-Copy.jpg

This is Wes sitting up and raising the shotgun from the laying down position.
IMG_2402-Copy.jpg

Here is Wes pointing the shotgun at the coyote but waiting for just a second or two for me to take some pictures.
IMG_2407-Copy.jpg

In this picture Wes just fired the old Remington 11-87 at the coyote.
IMG_2408-Copy.jpg

In this picture the Hevi-Shot "B" shot Waterfowl load has just reached the coyote. You can just barely see the Jack Attack decoy to the right of Wes in this picture.
IMG_2409-Copy.jpg

In this picture the coyote is getting ready to fall over.
IMG_2421.jpg

Here is a picture with the third coyote of the day. We blanked on the next stand and then headed home. It was a great day, we helped the rancher and got 3 coyotes and some pictures.

HOM%20-%20Banner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobMy son Wes and I left town at 6:30 am to do some calling before going to help the rancher and his family, gather , sort and brand some calves.

On the first stand we had a pretty good cold breeze blowing and it was blowing down towards some farm land we can't hunt. I set up to call into the wind but I told Wes to watch cross wind and the downwind side because the wind was going to carry the sound that way even though we had the speakers pointed the other way.

I was laying down with my shotgun and a pillow about 15 yards from my CS-24 and SP-55 speaker. I started the CS-24 playing Bay Bee Cottontail on volume 40. This was open grass land with no brush or bushes anywhere to be seen.

After Bay Bee Cottontail had been playing for 3 or 4 minutes I saw movement out of my right eye real close to me. So I turned my head and saw a coyote heading away fast, he had smelled me or the caller. So I sat up and saw another coyote about 25 yards away looking right at me. This coyote just stood there with a " where did you come from" look on his face.

I shot the standing coyote and then turned and whipped a big lead on the running coyote and shot at him with a 3" Rem Wingmaster HD "T" Predator load. The second coyote flipped head over heels and hit the ground hard but got right up. I shot at him again as he ran into a ditch about 70 yards away. When we finished the stand Wes told me that there was 4 coyotes that came running in all at one time.

We went over to where the second coyote I shot at ran into the ditch. Wes walked up the ditch and I walked down the ditch and Wes found the dead coyote about 100 yards up the ditch from where he entered it.
IMG_2392.jpg

The above picture is the shotgun double we got on the first stand. We blanked on the next two stands and then headed for the corrals to do the cattle work.

When the cattle work was over we headed in a different direction and started to do some more stands. We blanked on the first one.

On the second stand in the afternoon Wes was using the pillow and shotgun. I set up my new Foxpro Jack Attack Decoy next to my CS-24 about 15 yards away from Wes.
I started out with Bay Bee Cottontail again on volume 40. We were up in the hills on this stand and it looked like a coyote could come right around the ridge to Wes and Wes wouldn't see it until it was 20 to 30 yards away. Wes could see a long ways to the right and out in front but not very far to the left.

I had my camera ready and pointed towards Wes and the caller and decoy. Not too long after starting Bay Bee Cottontail I was looking to the right. When I turned my eyes back towards Wes there was a coyote standing in front of him and it was very close to him. So I started taking pictures.
IMG_2400-Copy.jpg

This is Wes sitting up and raising the shotgun from the laying down position.
IMG_2402-Copy.jpg

Here is Wes pointing the shotgun at the coyote but waiting for just a second or two for me to take some pictures.
IMG_2407-Copy.jpg

In this picture Wes just fired the old Remington 11-87 at the coyote.
IMG_2408-Copy.jpg

In this picture the Hevi-Shot "B" shot Waterfowl load has just reached the coyote. You can just barely see the Jack Attack decoy to the right of Wes in this picture.
IMG_2409-Copy.jpg

In this picture the coyote is getting ready to fall over.
IMG_2421.jpg

Here is a picture with the third coyote of the day. We blanked on the next stand and then headed home. It was a great day, we helped the rancher and got 3 coyotes and some pictures.

Well I see that your LAYING DOWN on the job again!
lol.gif
Please tell us more about how you do these Laying Down sets? Pillow?
thumbup1.gif

Last edited:
Well I see that your LAYING DOWN on the job again! lol Please tell us more about how you do these Laying Down sets? Pillow?

The pillow is used to hold up our head so we can lay down flat on our backs.
IMG_0715.jpg

By staying low and flat the coyotes don't think you are anything to worry about even if they do see you.
IMG_0220.jpg

We prop the pillow up against something if we can. It helps hold the pillow still and lets us get our head up just a little higher.
IMG_0261.jpg

In the above picture you can see the shotgun shooter on the left, the e-caller in the middle and the coyote on the right. The pillow lets you lay still. Without some kind of support for your head your neck will be hurting in no time.

That's some pretty good technique for open country shot-gunnin'. Never thought a scatter gun would be worth packin' in that type of terrain, but I can't argue with the pics.

Once again, a great write up with great pics.

I remember seeing a thread on the lay down calling awhile back but could never find it. Last time I went hunting, I was laying flat on my back on a terrace. Worked out pretty well...had a yote run up to 2 yards from my feet then try to book it. I raised up and that was all she wrote!

Great pics and story... I love some good hunting action shots!

That is a really good set up. Thanks for sharing.

Once I was laying prone with a JIB running, and three coyotes almnost ran over me coming from behind me. I had a bipod on and as they ran down the hill I couldn't get on them. I reached up and knocked one side down and the other really caused me fits trying to shoot at them with the one side up. Lost them all. With your set up,..I could have had them all.
Thats a great setup.

Thanks ,
Pack

PS I have some open hill sides I have beeen trying to hunt but could not think of a way. This is it!!

Last edited:
Awesome shooting, both with the shotgun and with the camera! Gets my blood pumping just looking at the pictures. Awesome way for you and your boy to spend some time together, I hope to get my old man out with me when I'm home next winter. Take turns runnin the shotgun and the rifle. Great story derbyacresbob.

Back